|Request for Deletion|
- Keep in mind that these policies are ultimately guidelines. If it's found that a policy restricts something that the reason the policy was created didn't intend to restrict, then the policy should be changed.
Sockpuppets are alternate usernames created by a registered user. The use of sockpuppets is discouraged on most wikis, including Charliepedia.
General Notes Edit
Sockpuppetry may be dealt with by administrators if the following bullets apply:
- The use of sockpuppets to get around a ban will result in the sockpuppet username being permanently blocked. At the discretion of the administrators, the length of the original username's block may be extended.
- The use of sockpuppets to create the impression that multiple users support a single user's views will result in the sockpuppet username being permanently blocked and the original user warned. Persistent use of such sockpuppets may be considered disruptive behavior similar to vandalism, however.
- Encouraging friends or online associates to create new user accounts in order to bolster support in a vote or discussion is also heavily discouraged. Users tempted to do this should be aware that if these new users use the same computer or even ISP, they may be found to share an IP address. In this situation, regardless of who is behind the account in reality, it is difficult to tell such new users from sockpuppets of the original user.
- The use of multiple accounts for other reasons may be acceptable. In fact, if a user wishes to run helpful bots, this is necessary so an accidentally out-of-control bot can be blocked while the user is still allowed to edit and so that the bot can be given a bot flag to hide its edits from the recent changes feed. However, the identity of the main user must be specified, and the secondary account cannot be used to vote separately in discussions.
Violations of this policy are punishable. The following method should be followed for carrying out these consequences;
- First offense: Permanent block